It’s the beginning of the year which is the trite season for resolution making, but if you aren’t too careful, those resolutions may literally be knocked down by the age old influenza virus.
I’ve been lucky in life in that I was exposed to so much strep throat and tonsillitis as a youngin’ (which resulted in my tonsils being removed) that my WBC’s hardly had time to combat any other germ out there.
I think I had the flu twice as a teen, but put me in a room full of people with bronchitis and I am bound to absorb that stuff faster than I am capable of grabbing a doctor’s mask.
In recent years, I’ve maintained a pretty clean slate in the sickness department. I had the flu two years ago literally the day after New Year’s until almost Valentine’s Day. (and that was WITH taking my vitamins and supplements all year round!)
Every year since then, I’ve become even more of an Amazonian shaman/witch doctor with my herbal healings.
If you didn’t know, the flu is NOT something that HAS TO knock you out of work for 2 weeks, cut into your PTO, and is one of the only times it makes you actually want to leave your bed and participate in mainstream society. (and NO I am not one of those orange juice commercials promoting nutrient-less crap!)
Nature is a mighty force. She smiles on our bounty when things are going well and scorns us with droughts, superstorms, and earthquakes when we mistreat and abuse what she has provided for us.
Right now, I’m thankful for nature as she provides us with so many healing remedies, some even right in our backyards.
Here are two flu remedies that REALLY. DO. WORK. All were tested by yours truly. Remember to also supplement with as much sleep, chicken broth, and water as possible.
1. Cinnamon & Honey– for this recipe, all you need is a bowl of hot water, 1 tsp of honey in a separate bowl and a pinch of cinnamon. Add the cinnamon to the honey bowl and place that bowl in hot water bowl. Have this 2 times per day.
2. Your Knight in A Shining Glass. (this is what I call my own concoction). For this recipe, I used one tbsp. garlic powder, 1 tbsp. turmeric, lemon juice, hot water, and honey to sweeten a bit. Nope, I am not going to lie with my eyes bugging out and say it tastes great in the salesy kind of way. It’s pretty hard to take, but then end results are worth it…even if you have some garlic breath after. I took this mixture 3 times the night before I went to work and felt amazing the next morning.
So why do these remedies work?
- Everything I have used is 100% organic and pure. There are no artificial sweeteners in the honey I used and all the herbs were ground organically as well.
- Turmeric, cinnamon, garlic, and lemon all contain antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-virus properties.
- All are derivatives of the ayurvedic practice (hindu art of healing), which has shown to be more effective than conventional methods of treatment (makes sense…because are bodies are natural, not made of pills!)
I have also used the not-so organic Airborne when I’ve felt sickness fast approaching and that’s had some effects too, but nothing compared to what mother natures babies can do!
If you want a step by step instructional video or more natural ways to battle sickness, check out this youtube channel:
What do you do when you feel sickness coming on? Anything in particular that helps for you?
Peace, love, and ayurveda!