Inspired by A Dash of Meg‘s WIAW post, here is my version of the oatmeal part of her breakfast. (Using milk- eeeeeekkkkk!) Why the screeching? Whenever I cook oats or anything that requires milk, I always seem to burn everything. The last time that fire alarm went off for twenty minutes before I finally just ripped it off the ceiling. Right now, we are currently fire alarm-less due to that mishap. So obviously if I burn again and create a fire, it’s doomsday.
Enough of my burner paranoia…on with the food!
As you know I have been sanctioned to my bed since Sunday due to illness. Indulging in my 3-day a week trips to the grocery store are on hiatus. So I have to use what I have lying around. (Not much, to be honest…)
I always keep milk, some sort of cereal, and fruit on hand so breakfast this morning did not prove to be a problem.
I had no steel cut oatmeal left so I used a stash of rolled outs to star as my food protagonists. (My heroes!) Seriously without them, I would probably be subject to eating stale cookies and moldy bread.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk
- dab of honey
- frozen mango chunks
- 1/4 cup flaxseed
- pinch of light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- Barbara’s Puffins Cinnamon Cereal
- Sprinkles (for decoration)
- Heat saucepan on LOW < this was very important for me to keep in check. Add in 1 cup milk for every 1/2 cup oats. Stir.
- After about a minute, add in honey, applesauce, flaxseed, and light brown sugar. Stir occassionally.
- Take off heat. Pour into bowl. Mix in peanut butter. Place frozen mango chunks, a few pieces of Barbara’s, and sprinkles. (if you want to get fancy!)
- EAT. SO FILLING.
- Congratulate yourself for cooking with milk and not burning the house down 🙂
Peace, love, and heroes!