To say “I’m on a chocolate kick” would be a complete underestimate of what the word “kick” is intended to mean. It’s more of a chocolate lifestyle, as I am a willing slave to any and all forms of it. Chocolate for breakfast is the best way to begin the day with the glass half-full.
Here’s one of my personal breakfast faves:
Mini Banana Chocolate Chip Coconut Protein Pancakes: (Makes 24)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup vanilla coconut milk
- 1 6 oz. Chobani vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1-2 scoops protein powder (I use Muscle Milk-Chocolate)
- dash of baking powder
- In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- Mix wet ingredients together in separate bowl, then slowly add dry ingredients with mixer on low speed. (Be sure to cut the banana into smaller pieces before adding to mixture.)
- Turn burner onto low-medium heat. Allow to heat for about 5 minutes.
- Either measure or eyeball out around a tablespoon of the batter. Pour into pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes each side.
My lunch has consisted of lots of this lately with chicken or an egg salad on the side:
Mache Salad W/ Citrus Basil Balsamic Dressing:
Mache is incredibly flavorful and an excellent source of nutrients as opposed to an iceberg or romaine lettuce. I paired this with some chicken breast, onions, and avocado over top (not shown).
For the citrus basil balsamic dressing here’s what you need:
- 1/2 fresh squeezed Minneola or Navel orange juice (make sure it’s completely seedless)
- 1-2 fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- few squirts of lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 balsamic vinegar (I used one with a sweeter flavor)
- dash of sea salt
- Place balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and lemon juice in blender on low.
- Stop blender and add in basil and minced garlic. Blend on low again.
- Stop and finally add in your orange. (Be sure to squeeze in separate cup before adding to blender to avoid seeds and pulpage.)
- Blend on low again.
- Season to taste if need be.
*This makes about 2 servings.*
Taste The Rainbow Pre-Workout Smoothie:
- 10 green grapes
- 12 blackberries
- 5 strawberries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 scoop Muscle Milk chocolate protein powder
- Squirt of honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 handful spinach
- Add in first four ingredients. Blend on low for 10 seconds.
- Add in the rest and continue to blend for 30 seconds.
- Pour and enjoy!